AEROSPACE SAFETY STRATEGY
1. Flight Safety Directorate was set up in IAF in 1960. Since then it has been renamed as Aerospace Saftey Directorate.
Aerospace Safety Mission Statement
2. The all-encompassing mission of Aerospace Safety Directorate is :-
" TO ENSURE OPERATIONAL CAPABILITY BY CONSERVING HUMAN AND MATERIAL RESOURCES THROUGH PREVENTION OF AIRCRAFT ACCIDENTS"
Aerospace Safety Strategy
3. The safety strategy is rooted in following beliefs:-
(a) Operational goals cannot be achieved if pilots and aircraft are lost.
(b) Risk is inherent in military aviation.
(c) Risk must be assessed and managed effectively in order to accomplish the mission.
Safety Enhancing Initiatives
4. All flying accidents are avoidable. A high level of professionalism in IAF has gone a long way in reducing accidents.
Efficient and proactive reporting, investigation, analysis and dissemination has prevented accidents.
Armed with these beliefs, Directorate of Aerospace Safety at Air HQ provides support to field units to enhance aerospace safety measures.
Specific initiatives are listed below:
(a) Air force system of error management (AFSEM).
(b) Accident probability factor (APF).
(c) Integrated Aerospace Safety Management System(IASMS).
(d) Dedicated Ornithology cell to mitigate Bird Strike Hazards.
5. Aerospace Safety in IAF is committed towards proactive hazard identification and effective risk management. Thorough analysis of previous accidents is the backbone to completely alleviate avoidable and repeated mistakes. Efforts are made to imbibe thorough knowledge of existing orders, instructions and standard operating procedures. To gauge the efficacy of the safety system, regular audits are carried out for assessing compliance to correct practices and institution of proactive corrective measures.
Directorate of Aerospace Safety
Wing-III, West Block - VI,
Air Headquarters RK Puram
New Delhi - 110 066