Air Marshal Ronald Ivelaw-Chapman GCB KBE DFC AFC

22 Feb 1950 - 9 Dec 1951

Ronald Ivelaw-Chapman was born in British Guiana in 1899, the son of a self-made and successful merchant family. He came to England in 1903, with his parents, and attended the Junior School at Cheltenam College later graduating to the Senior School. In 1917 at the age of 18, he enlisted in the Royal Flying Corps and was posted to No 12 FTS (Flying Training School) at Thetford and then to No. 53 FTS at Narborough. He qualified for his Wings in January 1918 and in February, with the rank of Second Lieutenant. Here he undertook mainly artillery observation flights along the Western Front and some bombing operations. He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross (DFC) and soon after was promoted to the rank of Flying Officer, taking over the command of the Squadron 'B' Flight.

At the end of the First World War, Flying Officer Ivelaw-Chapman, DFC, Royal Air Force (RAF) volunteered for service overseas and was posted to No. 97 Squadron in India in 1919. In 1923, he returned to the UK to serve as a test pilot with the Aircraft & Armament Experimental Establishment at Martlesham, Heathand and later, as an ordinary pilot, with two multi-engined night bomber squadrons. In 1929 he volunteered for overseas duty and spent a year with No 70 Squadron in Iraq taking part in the Kabul air evacuations. For his contribution to these operations, he was awarded the Air Force Cross.

With the war clouds in Europe looming Ivelaw-Chapman returned to the Air Ministry and was engaged in rewriting the RAF War Manual Part One - Operations. He found this a heavy responsibility as it was clear that war was imminent. Early in World War-II, Ivelaw-Chapman was promoted to Acting Group Captain and took over as station commander of Linton-on-Ouse No. 4 Bomber Group. After 10 months he was posted back to London to undertake further staff duties. During this period he was involved in intelligence planning staff work at the highest level which included the D-Day landings. With the rank of Air Commodore, he was posted to be a Base Commander in No. 1 Group at Elsham Wolds in late 1943. In early May 1944 Ivelaw-Chapman flew in a Lancaster bomber as an extra crew member with Flt Lt Max Shearer RNZAF. The target was a large German ammunition dump at Aubigne Racan. After bombing the target the bomber was attacked by a night fighter and shotdown.

Only Ivelaw-Chapman and the Air Bomber, Sgt Joe Ford RAAF, were able to escape by parachute. They were on the run in France, for several weeks, helped by many courageous French civilians. The loss of Ivelaw-Chapman on this operation caused considerable concern in London in view of the fact that he had extensive knowledge of the coming Allied invasion of Europe. Eventually he was captured in a raid by the Germans on the farm in which they were hiding. During the brutal interrogation by his captors he did not give away any information that would prejudice the D-Day operations. The Germans never fully appreciated his importance and Ivelaw-Chapman was soon transferred to a normal prisoner-of-war camp.After the war Ivelaw-Chapman was promoted to Air Vice Marshal and took command of No. 38 Group at Marks Hall. After 18 months he returned to London, this time to Whitehall, as the RAF Member of the Defence Research Staff and then to the Directing Staff of the Imperial Defence College, Belgrave Square. In 1950 Ivelaw-Chapman was promoted to Air Marshal and offered the post of Commander-in-Chief of the fledgling Indian Air Force. He was delighted to accept and spent two happy and eventful years in India.

Described in his own personal journal he refers to the exciting news that he received in 1950 of his posting to India to help the Indian Government set up the new Indian Air Force. One of his earliest decisions was not to stay at Headquarters in Delhi for more than 10 days at a time and, during his two years with the RIAF, he made 59 trips away from Delhi. He visited every single unit of the RIAF at least once during this period. He was also very keen that the senior RIAF officers should not become "chair-borne".

To set an example he used to fly a photo reconnaissance Spitfire XXI from Palam regularly for half an hour before breakfast when other commitments permitted. Ivelaw-Chapman thought that the RIAF should be seen to play a proper role in the Far East and led missions to Thailand, Burma, Malaya, Ceylon, Singapore and even to Car Nicobar, to promote the Indian Air Force in that part of the world. In December 1951, he was ordered back to the UK to take up the post of Deputy Chief of the Air Staff. He wrote back pleading to be allowed to stay on for another year to finish the job he had begun. Unfortunately, he was needed back home and he was ordered by the CAS, Jack Slessor, to return to the UK.

On his return to the UK he took up the new post of Commander-in-Chief of Home Command at White Waltham. After 7 months he returned to the Air Ministry as Deputy and later Vice Chief of the Air Staff with a seat on the Air Council. He retired from the service in 1957.

Air Marshal Sir Ronald Ivelaw-Chapman, GCB, KBE, DFC, AFC passed away in 1978.

Visitors Today : 20
Total Visitors : 968361
Copyright © 2021 Indian Air Force, Government of India. All Rights Reserved.
phone linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram