Indigenisation Expositions Overview
- The inventory of the IAF is wide and varied in terms of technology and origin. The maintenance of the war waging machinery ranging from vintage to state of the art technology is a challenging task. The rationale for extended use has always been based on life review study reports prepared by experts in the field in association with specialists. The DRDO, institutes under the CSIR, premier technical institutes and defence PSUs have been a source for specialist advice.
- The potential to maintain any equipment in operational condition is primarily dependant on product support. The rapid growth in technological advancements in the recent past has led to obsolescence at an equally faster pace. This has resulted in diminishing product support from OEM to sustain desired state of our weapon platforms and systems.
- The effective utilisation of our resources was made through the option of reduce to produce. This was the simplest option available but it had an adverse impact on physical strength of the inventory. The situation and inescapable necessity for optimum utilisation of our resources forced us to a solution in the form of indigenisation.
The organisation structure for indigenous development activities is in three levels as below:-
- Air HQ. The broad policies, higher-level coordination with other agencies to facilitate indigenisation activities is by Director of Indigenisation functioning under ACAS (MP). The IAF is represented by ACAS (MP) in the apex indigenisation committee.
- HQ MC. HQ MC is the nodal agency for all aspects related to indigenisation activities. Command Indigenisation Officer facilitates, coordinates, and controls the indigenisation activities undertaken by BRDs
- BRDs. The BRDs are the executing agencies leading the development activities to a logical and conclusive end through direct interaction with various agencies. At depots, Sqn Cdr of IDS handles all indigenous development related cases.
ROLE OF BASE REPAIR DEPOTS
The Base Repair Depots (BRDs) of the IAF are under functional control of HQ MC. Each BRD is assigned a specific role. They are also the designated indigenisation agency, for all range of spares for their assigned role.
All maintenance requirements of the BRDs, in addition to items specially tasked by HQ MC/Air HQ would be taken up for indigenisation. The indigenisation process as given below will be progressed by Indigenisation Squadron of the BRD.
- Emergence of Necessity : The indigenisation of IAF requirement is necessity driven.
- Techno-Commercial Details : The process of indigenisation is initiated by the concerned BRD. Towards this technical and commercial input is obtained from various agencies/vendors.
- Feasibility Study : This is a study to identify and establish whether it is practicable to meet the scientific and technical issues as well as it being a commercially viable option.
- Request for Proposal : The proposal for indigenous development is floated to all known potential vendors after short-listing them on repute and capabilities. The RFP is a document that spells out technical and commercial aspects.
- Opening of Bids : The process of receipt and opening of bids would be in accordance with instructions in Defence Procurement Manual.
- The technical evaluation of the bid would be done to ascertain conformity of the technical bid with the technical specifications of the RFP and also to bring all bidders on a level playing field in respect of qualitative requirement.
- The evaluation of commercial bids is the core activity in decision for development order. The commercial bids of vendors who have been approved by the TEC will only be considered. The development cost inclusive of prototype plus cost of quantity required as per current annual requirement will be the basis for determining L1 vendor
- Development Order : The development order will be placed on the L1 vendor. The development order will include all terms and conditions that affect the execution of the order.
- Post-Contractual Obligations : The vendor is to honour the contract obligation in totality. Subsequent to placement of development order the situations having financial bearing will be dealt with in accordance to DPM.
- Payment : On successful development and honouring of development order in totality the indigenisation officer of the BRD would process case to effect payment.
PROCESS OF DEVELOPMENT
The BRDs develop the parts in accordance with the relevant standards on material, component drawing, process and acceptance testing. The Self Reliance Committee of the BRD issues certification for such items after carrying out tests indicated in the drawing and/or carrying out end use functional checks. The Items for which Technical Information is not available requires major effort from all agencies concerned. The procedure for indigenisation of such parts is as follows :-
- Generation of Technical Specifications : The first activity is generation and preparation of technical specifications. This document prepared by Indigenisation squadron of the depot would lay down design and performance characteristics of the stores. The information on the material and component drawings, where not available is to be generated by reverse engineering by the BRD through CEMILAC or test house.
- Design Phase : The design parameters are to be established and detailed design of all components, subsystems, systems including their process parameters are carried out.
- Preparation of Drawing : The drawings should be prepared in line with specifications.
- Prototype Development : The development should use only materials and processes called in the approved drawing.
- Testing : Tests in accordance with approved test schedule should be carried out, at an approved test house/laboratory.
- Test Report and Acceptance : On satisfactory compliance of the type test, record would be prepared and submitted to the certification agency for acceptance.
- Certification : After satisfactory completion of the trials the certification agency would provide a provisional clearance of the installation.
- Promulgation of Certification : On approval by certification agency a local certification (LC) number will be allocated for the indigenised item by the Indg Sqn of the BRD and the same promulgated to all concerned agencies.
- Procurement : The LC is a valid document to effect procurement through the developed source.
INDIGENISATION FOR INDIAN AIR FORCE
It is also considered reasonable to inform vendors that the requirements of IAF are maintenance requirements. Also there are no technology transfers/original designs. All the information available in the maintenance/overhaul manuals as also available with the experienced personnel of the Base Repair Depots will be made available to the vendors along with the samples. These details may be inadequate and detailed studies by a knowledgeable person from the concerned field to derive some more information will be required. Special test rigs may have to be developed for the extensive testing required.
Thus, for complex items, vendors are expected to be familiar with design and testing aspects of products. To ascertain this, two bid system is followed. The vendors are expected to develop engineering drawing / circuit diagrams, select appropriate materials and come out with a design. This along with the test schedules is to be approved by appropriate airworthiness approval authority. Ability to achieve this, is in fact one of the yardstick for IAF to assess vendors capabilities. However, in last few years IAF has taken up numerous studies, which have brought out details on ranges of spares. We willingly share all these details and whatever information is available.
No formal registration is required for participation in indigensation development activities of IAF.
Potential vendors identified form the following sources :-
- Proven and prospective vendors list of BRDs for different categories of spares for development / indigenisation.
- Vendor base of HAL, st1:City u1:st="on">ADA and few other DRDO Labs, LCSO, SIATI, CEMILAC and many others, for wider competition.
- Internet search to find capable vendor in desired field.
- Capable and potential vendors approaching BRDs/HQ MC and expressing their interest.
- Request for proposal floated to potential vendor for bids is two part i.e., technical and commercial bid.
- Technical evaluation done against laid down qualitative requirements to enable evaluation of all vendors on a common base. This is done to ensure that all vendors have understood the requirements of tender in the intended sense.
- TEC report brings all tenders at par to help identify the product and service likely to be made available from selected vendors.
- Price alone is criteria once the TEC clearance is given to determine award of the tender.
- Price negotiation is done with tender awardee for negotiation of price.
The aim of the above elaborations was to give an insight of technology intensiveness of the IAF. The Indian Industry is certainly very capable. Our aim is only to prepare you for what you are in for. The requirements of airworthiness cannot be diluted. Nor can the fact, that aviation and aerospace are the most technologically advanced industries.
Our efforts are continuously on to simplify our procedures and share the hardships with our partners in the industry. We invite those of you, who have the capabilities, expertise, infrastructure and the willingness to contribute and prosper with us.